Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Golden Gopher

I had the pleasure of "New Employee Orentation" today- it really wasn't that bad- except that I had to get up at an ungodly hour of the morning. On a positive note, to show for my efforts, I got to get my picture taken with Goldie- the UM mascot.

This is what Wickipedia has to say about Goldie:

The Gopher mascot is a tradition as old as the state. Minnesota was tabbed the “Gopher State” in 1857 after a satirizing cartoon, depicting nine Gophers with the heads of local politicians pulling a locomotive, was published. The story was over legislative action for a $5 million railroad proposal in western Minnesota. Later, the University picked up the nickname.
The “Golden” adjective has not always been a part of the Gopher nickname. During the 1930s, the Gophers wore gold jerseys and pants. Legendary KSTP-AM radio announcer Halsey Hall coined the term “Golden Gophers” in reference to the team’s all-gold attire on the field.

I also discovered today that all of that living on the beach has destroyed the brakes on my car. I knew it was going to happen but there it is- a warning to you in Port Aransas- your brake pads will wear faster there because of the salt in the air...

No comments: